Re: [LUG] ubuntu courses

On 30/04/10 16:13, tom wrote:
Paul Sutton wrote:

tom wrote:
Paul Sutton wrote:

Talking of Ubuntu courses

http://ubuntu-manual.org/

printed it costs £6.17 which isn't bad really

I think its worth it,

anyway also downloadable for free, (pdf) however LaTeX was used to
write
the book as far as I am aware anyway.
now if they'd done it in HTML....
Tom te tom te tom

LaTeX is a typesetting language so is designed for producing documents
such as this, HTML is designed for screen viewing only, sometimes is
helpful to be able to print out and makes notes on a printed page.
Never had problems printing HTML or writing on the printouts - check
what paper your using gloss is expensive! But with PDF print pages 2 ..3
and you get pages xii and xiii or something or other. It all depends on
whether the document is properly put together. A well put together HTML
document (a collection of 'doclets' really) rarely needs printing. We've
had this option for 15 years on computers and are still killing trees
just to correct our typing?

Sometimes I find it harder to read off the screen, and I can't make notes on the screen (okay I could but the pen won't come off easily).

Maybe when ePaper is cheaper then that might be a suitable alternative (still a bit too pricey for my liking although I do like the idea).

With HTML I can't do complex chemical formula, or mathematical formula,
at all ,where as LaTeX allows this to be done with very little effort.
Ditto HTML - without learning LaTex and restricting oneself to paper
formats. Just pop in an image of the formula from whatever package (or
scanner) you happen to prefer to use. Very little training involved.

But you can't edit it easily or copy and paste as anything other than an image then.

Rob