Re: [LUG] Lifespan of an SSD [Was Re: Setting up new disk.]

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010, Juan J. Martínez wrote:

Interesting uhm... I've been using ext2 with noatime + some stuff
mounted on RAM with tmpfs.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acer_Aspire_One#File-systems

Anyway, I though SSD stuff was improved lately, isn't it?. I hope so,
because the SSD in my Acer Aspire One 110 it's almost two years old
technology :)

The SSD used in the AAO is also very slow - to the extent that writing to is completely stalls the box - well mine, anyway. More noticable with firefox now too as it forces a flush to disk whenever it writes a file like the history file and tabs/bookmarks so it has more of a chance of recovery when it crashes...

My AAO has ext3 on it with noatime. One option you might want to use when using ext3 on SSD is the commit=N option - N is seconds. It defaults to 5 - so every 5 seconds it's going to have a write sent to it. You can increase it, but the longer you increas it to, the more chance of losing a file if you get a hard crash of Linux.

Gordon