Re: [LUG] New router

On 29/04/10 23:16, Julian Hall wrote:
On 29/04/2010 22:09, james kilty wrote:
On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 13:55 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:

Now I'm not sure how much you're looking to spend, and I don't know how
good this particular model is, but Draytek have a Vigor 2710 which has a
USB port for printer sharing...
I like my 2410 which my son fitted for me - very reliable. However, the
firmware update needed Windows to get it. Is this still true?

James

Hi James,

I don't know why a router firmware update would rely on any specific OS.
When I updated mine I just downloaded the update file using Firefox, and
then accessed the router configuration page, again through Firefox to
perform the update. Given that this was all done via the browser it was
all OS independent. I can only assume the update in your case was,
instead of an update file the router would recognise and load, a win32
executable file - which frankly sounds a bad way to go about it.

Kind regards,

Julian

I've seen this with BT routers, I guess it's to try and make life easier for end users (although presumably if they want to update the firmware they're going to know how to do it anyway).

Rob