Re: [LUG] Wi-Fi Access Points ...

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010, Gordon Henderson wrote:

I'll very likely get the Drayteks as I like Draytek. I was just whinging about prices that I was surprised about being what they are, that's all!

So just to follow-up - Ordered and now have 2 shiney new Draytek AP-700's configured and installed. Will drill holes and mount them properly at the weekend once wifey is out of the way ;-)

And they're working really well - so well in-fact that they don't hand-over from one to the other except in the far-corners of the house! The old ones were terrible in that respect. It seems the downstairs one has pretty good coverage of the whole house, although it's patchy in places upstairs.

I don't think they do "proper" hand-overs anyway, but it seems to work and the average web/email session on a laptop won't notice it, but I did force a hand-over during a VoIP test call (by powering one off!) and the call did keep on going - although there was a 10-second gap... To be expected, I guess. I'll just not wander around when making VoIP calls via Wi-Fi.

Still - nice little units, easy to setup, support WPS (which I'm not using), B/G/N Wi-Fi and relatively cheap compared to some!

Currently using an old 10Mb Ethernet hub to run them both off, however my router has 5 Ethernet ports, but I have one spare, so maybe I'll make the effort and run a pair in bridge mode which will save a plug (and I can finally retire that 12 year old 8 port hub, although it does have a co-ax connector too...)

Cheers,

Gordon