Re: [LUG] Wi-Fi Access Points ...

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010, Dan Dart wrote:

You can always set up an access point from a computer with a wifi card
using the airbase-ng tool from the aircrack suite:
http://www.aircrack-ng.org/
Most distros have this in the repos.

I could, but I am not going to.

Many reasons including:

It would require the purchase of a PCI Wi-Fi card - which I don't already have.

I'd need to leave those PCs on all the time.

I want the Wi-Fi LAN to be separate from my home/office LAN with it's own firewalling. (something I already have, so hooking into that network will be easy)

I'm being lazy about this: I want something that just plugs in and works - I really can't be arsed building my own or re-flashing a router, etc.

I need more than one to get full coverage in my house. I actually need 3 to do it properly, but I can get away with 2. (And I want 2 of the same make to give roaming half a chance to work)

I want new kit that'll hopefully last for a few years. (My current one is 6 years old)

I'll very likely get the Drayteks as I like Draytek. I was just whinging about prices that I was surprised about being what they are, that's all!

Gordon