Re: [LUG] Fwd: Nokia launches open source phone

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, Grant Sewell wrote:

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 8:11 PM, Gordon Henderson
<gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, Julian Hall wrote:

'The first handset to use the Symbian operating system since it became
open source has been announced by Nokia.'

More here:

 http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/04/27/nokia_n8/

I do wonder what Nokia is up to though - The N900 is open source (Linux!)
and runs maemo and/or meego and it's only a matter of time before someone
ports android to it. (forget iphone as it can run Max OSX natively too - not
terribly usable, but...)

So where does that leave them going?

It'll leave them developing an open-source operating system.  Linux
hasn't "killed" too many other open-source operating systems in the
past, and I dare say it probably won't kill Symbian either - fair
enough, Symbian may well become far more marginalised than Nokia had
thought... equally it may not.

From what I've read, Symbian is a multi-tasking and posix compliant operating system with a reasonable IP stack built in - designed with low-power in-mind, so from that point of view ideal for mobile devices.. However, I wonder if it's too little too late with Linux and BSD (and mobile windows) running in modern smart phones, making them very general purpose, and probably more importantly lowers the entry-level cost for 3rd party application development...

Still - I don't care - I've got my N900 and I'll see what else is good in
another 2.5 years time... (which seems to be about the length of time I keep
phones for)

Likewise.  Even though the case is a little rough-around-the-edges now
(been dropped a couple of times), I'll stick with my shiny
Linux-running Palm Pre.

Indeed!

Gordon