Re: [LUG] Fwd: Nokia launches open source phone

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 8:11 PM, Gordon Henderson
<gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, Julian Hall wrote:
>
>> 'The first handset to use the Symbian operating system since it became
>> open source has been announced by Nokia.'

> More here:
>
>  http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/04/27/nokia_n8/
>
> I do wonder what Nokia is up to though - The N900 is open source (Linux!)
> and runs maemo and/or meego and it's only a matter of time before someone
> ports android to it. (forget iphone as it can run Max OSX natively too - not
> terribly usable, but...)
>
> So where does that leave them going?

It'll leave them developing an open-source operating system.  Linux
hasn't "killed" too many other open-source operating systems in the
past, and I dare say it probably won't kill Symbian either - fair
enough, Symbian may well become far more marginalised than Nokia had
thought... equally it may not.

> Still - I don't care - I've got my N900 and I'll see what else is good in
> another 2.5 years time... (which seems to be about the length of time I keep
> phones for)
>
> Gordon

Likewise.  Even though the case is a little rough-around-the-edges now
(been dropped a couple of times), I'll stick with my shiny
Linux-running Palm Pre.

Grant.