Re: [LUG] Laptop as a desktop replacement

I am using a three year old packhard bell laptop with about 1.5 gig of ram and a similar Acer quite happily, I mostly use it for the internet and photo editing and run Mint 7 on it, both are 15" displays I also have a four net books again with Linux the Samsung NC10 runs Mint 7 without problems on 2 gig. I have not had a desktop for a couple of years.

For Linux you don't need cutting edge so its worth looking for a well looked after second hand laptop, that'sperhaps a ouple of years old. I think some people are getting rid of machines with vista on now that windows 7 is available rather than upgrading the OS so its worth checking local sho window ads etc.

On the issue of laptops if you can mostly live with a smaller display an option for when you need to use a bigger display is to use your TV if it has got a computer socket. I have done this from time to time.

Lena