Re: [LUG] Linux OU course

On 25/04/2010 14:36, Rob Beard wrote:

Does that include exam fees etc (and am I right in thinking it's only £185 rather than say 3 lots of £185?).

Just the one payment of £185
If so, doesn't seem too bad really if you get a recognized qualification at the end of it.
You only get a recognised qualification if you go and take the Comptia Linux+ exam, which is not part of the course! -I've no idea if the course will fully prepare to pass the Linux+ exam or not - this course is a new one so I guess that is is a case of suck it and see!

Am I right in thinking you can use the points too with other points from other OU courses to build up a degree type qualification?

Yep - anyone interested would need to check out what successful completion of this course will count towards.

FWIW I have tried several technology based OU courses in the past and IMHO the content on the OU courses I took tended to be dull and dated - a lot of the course software was old - yeah it worked but relied on windows and even then didn't work that well without having to jump through hoops so I gave up on them I and opted to go and complete a degree at Plymouth instead. I know a few people who have been OU students and loved it - they did not study anything technology related though so whether that has anything to do with it I can't say.

Now having been considering the Comptia Linux+ for a while now I decided to give this course a whirl - I have enrolled and paid for the MAY 2010 course and will see if it does what says on the tin.

Dave