Re: [LUG] OldTopic: Patients on the NHS Database

Henry Bremridge wrote:
> Saw the following this morning
>
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7598520/Controversial-medical-records-database-suspended.html

> The project triggered anger when it was revealed that information could
> have been logged on the system without patientsâ knowledge.

Of course that is the nature of "opt out", if those people's records had
been kept up to date then of course they would have received their
letters - so probably a section of the population whose record would
benefit most from being centralised. Those that move and don't register
with a new GP.

I suspect politics is at the heart of it. The Tories would look pretty
silly scrapping a working database in order to "save money" by replacing
it. Probably summary care records have reached that point, where aside
from the merits of how we got here it may well be cheaper to work with
what we have, than scrap it and build "cheaper" systems to replace it.