Re: [LUG] Website locked

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 22:42:47 +0100 (BST)
Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, Neil Williams wrote:
> >  The abuse of
> > a few have caused permanent and irrevocable harm to all; blame the
> > spammers using our site to push illegal content, not me. The DCGLUG
> > site is not Wikipedia, we don't have the resources to deal with
> > automated abuse.
>
> It sounds like someone (probably not a list member, but maybe is?)
> has been defacing the website or posting blatant commercial spam to
> it, but...

No 'but' is necessary, that was what was happening - several times an
hour. The attempts continue and are visible to admins via the logs but
the change in config blocks all attempts to create new users, refresh
deleted users or log in with the previous usernames.

> Care to post a brief summary?

You just did. I'm glad I locked the site and fixed the problems before
too many people noticed. Some did. The site config tried to stop
certain spam methods but such heuristics were not enough.

I've seen no evidence that it was a list member, hence the requirement
that future new members are "vetted" by the list.

--

Neil Williams