Re: [LUG] (Graphical?) Email Clients ...

On 15/04/2010 22:04, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 21:50:47 +0100 (BST)
Gordon Henderson<gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Hello Gordon,

So I feel kinda stuck. I don't like the whole Outlook Look-a-like
I'd still go for CM, IIWY.  Just compile it yourself.  As you say,
package maintainers tend to go for $KITCHEN_SINK, hence the peculiar
dependency list.

CM does all you want WRT to filtering, I'm sure.  But then, I'm biased.

I think there are two questions really with regard to email clients; which is best for input - sorting etc; which is best for output.

TBH I don't think the question of which email client to use is that relevant in terms of output. It's like asking which graphics program to use, Tux Paint, GIMP, Photoshop, Paintshop Pro etc. What matters is what the program outputs. Used properly all graphics programs (should) have the ability to produce the same resulting image if the same effects are applied to an original. In the same way, I learned some time ago that HTML email is unwelcome on this mailing list and so I made a conscious change to make sure my email client sends out plain text emails to the LUG. I don't think it really matters if I use Thunderbird, Pine, Evolution, or any other client. What matters is that my emails a) obey the requirements of the LUG mailing list and b) don't waste bandwidth sending out additional formatting rubbish when, for example, using asterisks around a word or phrase emphasises it sufficiently. That *is* a pet hate of mine - all these clients that allow users to specify stationary and logos and all the other rubbish that eats up bandwidth and does nothing to change the actual information in the email I receive and therefore is a complete and utter waste of time and bandwidth.

Input and server functionality are different matters though. Obviously in commercial and/or professional environments people will have much more complex requirements for what their mail client does than I do with my single PC in a home environment. I don't have multiple users that the client must sort and pass the mail to - although I do have multiple POP accounts it has to access. All I have is a series of filters to sort my incoming mail into folders so I can prioritise which to read first - oh yes, and to bin all the spam.

Kind regards,

Julian