[LUG] (Graphical?) Email Clients ...

And so... While I'm going to be a bit busy this weekend, it's looking like I'm going to have to "move on", "get with the program", etc.

Or maybe not..

Pine is old, but I've been using is since about 1994. Before that I used Some GUI program from Sun, before that bog-standard 'mail', and before that a multitude of text-only type systems, written by various people, myself included.

The only GUI Email I've used recently has been Squirrelmail, but that doesn't really count!

The one thing I liked about Pine was it's filtering ability - that and threaded message display. And that it was fast. Easy interface to ispell and editors.

Things I don't like are having to save attachments when people send more than a few to me in a single email - e.g. heres 100 holiday snaps type of things.

Alpine looks like an improvement, but it stops dead when processing filters - and for far too long! I went through all the options and couldn't find out why. As postmaster@ dozens of domains, running many mailling lists (and taking their boucnes), and having a lot of automated stuff send things to me which get automatically filed I found that make it almost impossible to type emails. Even scrolling through files would stop until it had processed the filter. Maybe pine does it that way too, but if-so, it's very fast.

And because pine has such good filters (well, good enough for me), I've never bothered to get into the guts of procmail (even though I use it as the MDA)

So I'm investigating procmail now, and that will be the main thing that will allow me to "break free" of Pine. It will also allow me to use a mobile device for my email too, rather then ssh to the server to run pine... (And as I've just treated myself to a Nokia N900, maybe I ought to use it!)

So - If Alpine isn't doing the filtering, maybe I can run it locally (ie. on my desktop PC) which might make it more useful - or easier to view attachments, or run some other email client - maybe even (fx: dramatic chord) a graphical one!

But which one?

I can't honestly say I like what I've seen so-far. Wifey uses Thunderbird on her XP box and the same on her AAO under Linux (Although I think she used Claws for a while)

Looking at claws now - well, looking at it via dselect. This is where I get irritated - it tells me:

  claws-mail   Fast, lightweight and user-friendly GTK2 based...

Sounds good so-far, but it depends on a few things. One is:

  libpisock9   library for communicating with a PalmOS PDA

No.. I don't have a PalmOS PDA...

worse:

  libpisock9 depends on libbluetooth2

No.. I don't have bluetooth either..

So I guess the package maintainer had to make some choices when building it. I just wish they'd not forced stuff like that on me. Of-course I can always compile it from source and make my own choices...

But what's an email program doing interfacing with a PDA? I don't epect pine to talk to my N900, so ...

Looking here:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Linux_e-mail_clients

but nothing there is actually inspiring me to change.

And it seems that Alpine has been forked off and there is re-alpine now too.

So I feel kinda stuck. I don't like the whole Outlook Look-a-like email programs - you know what I mean, folder list of the left, top panel with subjects, bottom panel with message body - almsot all the mailers on that wikipedia page are like that. (the exceptions being basically pine/alpine/elm/mutt)

So is there anything else out there that might "stand out" from the crowd and be sufficiently different to make me want to look?

Any ideas are most welcome!

Cheers,

Gordon