Re: [LUG] Firefox 3.6.3/Mandriva

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010, Simon Sanders wrote:

I have just allowed my Mandriva auto-upgrade system to upgrade me to
Firefox 3.6.3 and the video has stopped working. I get a dialog box
headed Codeina that tells me my operating system does not include an
MPEG-4 player and invites me to install a Fluenda DVD player at a
bargain price of EUR 19.99. My Firefox preferences/applications dialog
box tells me that MPEG-4 is handled by my Quicktime plugin 7.2.0. I note
that Fluenda is being sold by Mandriva.

Mandriva is the only distro I can get to run on my creaky old
Dell/Celeron machine. Do I have to get a new computer? Needless to say,
there is no advice available at Mandriva.

I doubt Mandrivia is the only distro you can use - however it might be that the particular kernel version is the only one that will boot...

However - it boils down to how much effort are you willing to put into it to make another distribution run on it OK - and that may involve compiling a custom kernel for it. I certinaly had no issues with Debian Stable on a old Celeron desktop that I use for testing purposes, although it is an Intel motherboard... I did have issues with Dell's many moons ago with Debian Stable - but only because the kernel didn't support Dells bleeding edge hardware, but I doubt a modern distro would have issues these days...

Gordon