Re: [LUG] Permissions problem

Simon Waters wrote:

> Something like - as root...
>
> # ls -l /dev/lp0
>
> # echo 'KERNEL=="lp0", SUBSYSTEM=="printer", MODE="0666"'
>>> /etc/udev/rules.d/99-local.rules
>
> # udevadm trigger
>
> # ls -l /dev/lp0
>
> Which puts a new rule in for the device, and causes it to be reloaded.
>
> See http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html if that doesn't "just
> work".
>
> But I have to confess I've never needed to do this in anger since udev
> was introduced*. Which should tell you something given this is part of
> my day job. The default for all devices is 0660, so it is very unlikely
> that a change to the permissions of /dev/lp0 is the cause of the
> problem, far more likely you told the software to do this with the wrong
> username, or  possibly you installed some printer related software which
> broke stuff.

Yes, but not my fault, see below.

> If I were you I'd be checking access times on /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and
> comparing it to the default.
>
> Also check say dpkg log and see if you have installed something you
> forgot about or installed a security fix.
>
>  Simon

My memory has finally worked. I did not make any changes. I run kubuntu
Hardy and get regular updates. I remember now that the last update
included cups which now is version 1.3.7. My problems started after
that, so I am not to blame after all.

I have searched udev files and cannot find where the permissions for lp0
are set up. Can anyone help please?

Neil