Re: [LUG] Was Re: VirtualBox stupidness..

On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 14:21 +0100, Grant Sewell wrote:

> > Does anyone know if I can boot an already existing windows setup within VB -
> > all the ones I've looked at tell me how to install a new setup but I just
> > want to pop up windows as is for a mo...
> > Tom te tom te tom
>
> Yes, you can, but it's not advisable.  It is recommended that you
> first setup (within Windows) 2 hardware profiles - one for the native
> booting and one for the "booted inside the VM" scenario, that way the
> system won't be forever rebooting because of "new hardware".  Then
> you'd need to create a VDI file (I think, or is it VMDK, or something)
> that points to the actual partition.  There are some details of doing
> this in one of the VirtualBox manuals - I think it's in the
> commandline references section.

I had a Windows partition on one of my HD's a year or two ago and did
configurer VirtualBox to boot that fairly easily as I recall. What Grant
says about using 2 profiles is the correct way I believe, as I was just
messing around and bothered about breaking the Windows install I didn't
bother though. It all worked rather well too, even rebooting the
computer to boot off the physical Windows install *properly* everything
seemed ok. Nothing broke back in the VB boot either.

I may have been lucky though. It can work though it seems, and fairly
nicely.

--
John Williams
My linux blog of notes and guides