Re: [LUG] Skype on Linux

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010, Keith Abraham wrote:

Anyone tried Ekiga? It's not so flash as Skype but it worked for me and my brother (now sadly deceased) a couple of years ago. At least it's open source or it was the last time I looked.

I have a love/hate relationship with Ekiga. On the hate side, it's bloated, slow, and hasn't been too reliable, on the other side, it is free and ticks all the boxes.

The free side was a big frustration for me recently when I tried to use it's video mode - no nice (patented) codecs... However I did find an external add-on with all the nice ones installed.

It was still a PITA to use on my AAO as it wanted more screen height than I had pixels for, but I did eventually get it to work, and work OK Grandstream GXV3000 video phones.

The down-side is that you're once again tied into someone else's network (ekiganet, or whatever it's called), unless you have an account with an ITSP - such as Sipgate, Drogon, Gradwell, etc. and like other SIP devices, direct Ekiga to Ekiga calls are almost impossible when both ends are behind NAT (that's when you need to resort to port-forwarding)

Gordon