Re: [LUG] Skype on Linux

Eion MacDonald wrote:
> On 13/04/2010 07:29, tom wrote:
>
> 3. I am advised from China side that Skype is 'not too secure'.
> It appears quality  changes when on line real time listeners. However if
> no 'key words' then I doubt they bother to decrypt, but I assume others
> can and do when necessary on certain start/end points.

I believe China has a deliberately weakened version of Skype to enable
state (and others if the stories are true) eavesdropping.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skype#Service_in_People.27s_Republic_of_China

But I would assume Skype may have back-doors for US surveillance, since
US telecom equipment has to be Eavesdrop ready.

The nice thing about Free Software solution is you can check for these
things. Anyone for "Voice over Freenet" ;)

Although in this case we could ask Theo - he may have access to the
source code.

 Simon