Re: [LUG] Skype on Linux

On 13/04/2010 07:29, tom wrote:
> Has anyone tried the Skype for Linux client
> or better still know of an open source app to connect to skype?
> Tom te tom te tom

1. Skype worked Ok on SuSE 10 but crashes on SuSE 11.
(Not as consistent as Skype on MS Windows XP, my alternate system)

2. I use Skype for  calls only with  China, and after email signal all
calls originate from China to me. Then changed by call back from UK to
China after short time interval.
I use 80% of time Windows systems for Skype.

3. I am advised from China side that Skype is 'not too secure'.
It appears quality  changes when on line real time listeners. However if
no 'key words' then I doubt they bother to decrypt, but I assume others
can and do when necessary on certain start/end points.

4. Skype can also support (for me & China contact) large file size CAD
drawings which are difficult by email due file size restriction at some
China side ISPs.
Albeit some 'remote' china side locations have 40 GB speeds direct to
offices.
--
Regards
Eion MacDonald