Re: [LUG] Skype on Linux

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 07:47:49AM +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Apr 2010, tom wrote:
>
> >Has anyone tried the Skype for Linux client

They work. From what I recall, the linux one (they provide a debian package)
was not as advanced as the windows one. Anyway tried it but the only
advantages I could see over opensource were as follows

- it encrypts voice traffic, which is great if you are using it from a
  public hotspot.
- its cheaper if two people use it but there are all sorts of packages
  now for "unlimited" or discounted voice I question the real advantage.
  (eg on pay as you go on skype, call a landline is 1.9p per min while
  on 18185 is unlimited with 5p connection fee. Yes the unlimited is
  cheaper but then they can ring me on my landline)
- its works for windows.

The disadvantage for me
- I would not be prepared to move my phone number over to them, just in case
  I got tired of them and wanted to move to someone else
- Its another bit of software running on the desktop that I do not need.
  I would prefer to have eg twinkle running and I can connect as needed
  on that to a variety of numbers.
- I could get one of the skype mobile phones but they need a hotspot.

Finally I became astounded at the options available with Sip / IAX
driven VoIP over a "normal" telephone: why switch from BT to another
closed system

What I would like is unlimited VoIP over 3G and then cut out the mobile companies
telephone rates :)

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.