Re: [LUG] Sharing a printer

On 12/04/2010 20:04, Simon Waters wrote:
Rob Beard wrote:
When I have done this previously (Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server with a USB
printer hanging off the back) I managed to do it all through CUPS.
Me too.

CUPS uses Internet Printing Protocol, which is supported by Windows.

Samba sucks, and you don't need it for this.

Personally I don't mind Samba myself but it's only an extra layer to go wrong when sharing printers so unless you're running Windows 3.x, 9x or ME (and maybe NT 3.x/4.0) then it should be with with just the Internet Printing Protocol or TCP/IP port (even Windows 7 Home Premium supports it, and you know what Microsoft are like for removing features from home versions of their operating systems!).

Rob