Re: [LUG] Nas box

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010, Max Siegieda wrote:

"It supports Software RAID (0,1,5)"

What? No RAID 6? Did no-one think to provide a solution for absolutely
massive disk arrays?

FreeNAS is FreeBSD based, not Linux based, so maybe FreeBSD is lacking some of the newer features that Linux has. (Although I've been using RAID-6 with Linux for a good few years now - 5?) Personally, I'll never use RAID-5 again - after having a 2nd disk fail on a RAID-5 set during recovery. (Although with most commercial controllers it might have been game-over, but as this was Linux RAID-5, I was able to recover the data with some patience)

Building a NAS type box from Linux is relatively easy though - you could just plumb it all together with webmin if you didn't want to get your hands dirty editing config files...

Gordon

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Steph Foster <