Re: [LUG] Wifi printer

On 03/04/2010 11:53, NW wrote:
My current printer, Epson photo 810, is getting a bit old now. At home
we have three computers using Windows XP, Kubuntu Hardy and Mint Gloria.
It has been suggested to me that I should get a wifi printer next so
that it will be easy for any computer to use it. At the moment only the
desktop (Hardy) is linked to it.

I suspect that there will be a shortage of Linux drivers for many of
these wifi printers.

Any suggestions for me anyone please?

Thanks

Neil

Hi Neil,

I forgot this previously. I have a NAS box on my network with a USB port. As an alternative to buying a new router you could also put a similar box on your system. This would allow you to share the printer wirelessly (assuming your current router has WiFi) with the bonus of having network accessible storage.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NEWLink-Gigabit-Printer-Server-Function/dp/B001FB6WP0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269957373&sr=1-1

I've just ordered this one as an upgrade to my current box which only has 10/100 connectivity so can be a bit slow for printing. I know NewLink may not be one of the big boys of networking, but I've had one of their NAS boxes for quite a while and it's not let me down. Very well built, easy to put together, and Linux firmware - supports FAT32 and ext3 - dual drives enabling proper RAID support.

Kind regards,

Julian