Re: [LUG] Wifi printer

On 3 April 2010 14:40, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> NW wrote:
>>
>> My current printer, Epson photo 810, is getting a bit old now. At home
>> we have three computers using Windows XP, Kubuntu Hardy and Mint Gloria.
>> It has been suggested to me that I should get a wifi printer next so
>> that it will be easy for any computer to use it. At the moment only the
>> desktop (Hardy) is linked to it.
>>
>> I suspect that there will be a shortage of Linux drivers for many of
>> these wifi printers.

I have a Brother MFC (model number escapes me) and it is pretty good
in any OS (Windows, Linux, OSX). Does all the usual things like
printing and scanning over the network, sending PDFs to email (without
a computer) or uploading it to an FTP server, etc. Third-party ink is
cheap too. It is even future proofed - seems to support IPv6 (and can
grab an address from my router okay)

Only real issue with it is that you can't fully turn it off - if you
do, the printer likes to run a clean and it eats ink.

"If only windows printing configs were that simple eh ?"

Windows 7 is actually *very* good with all types of hardware. There
isn't a lot that I have that it doesn't automatically find drivers for
(and it also finds this printer with ease)

Shaun