Re: [LUG] Dedicated server vs. Cloud based

Matt Nash wrote:

Could anyone tell me the pros and cons of a server using cloud type technology versus a dedicated server? I am thinking that if I use a dedicated server I could probably run multiple virtual machines, which is unlikely to be possible on a cloud based server. If there are any other pros and cons that people can think of, then please let me know.

First you need to define what you mean by "cloud" as like its namesake
the term is somewhat nebulous, but for the sake of argument I'll assume
that it means you'll end up with some sort of virtual machine.

Obviously there are the usual issues with contention for machine
resources with virtual machines and there may be limitations on
total network bandwidth, too.  Disk IO may not be anything like as
fast as a physical server.

Some VM providers use VMs that save the machine state when you reboot
whilst others restart the machine from a set configuration each  time
which doesn't suit some services, but is quite handy if you somehow
manage to trash a load of files that are still in the original image.

Some VMs are provisioned using seriously out of date OS releases.  I
was working on a recently-configured EC2 instance last week that was
running Fedora 8 which has had no support for years and there are no
security updates for known issues.

Some VM providers don't seem to be that fussed about throw-away VMs
being used for spam delivery which means they're heavily blacklisted
and impractical to use for an outbound mail relay.  Not that I have
south-American female warriors particularly in mind at this point,
oh no.

If you're not running services full-time then EC2's pricing model where
you only pay for the time you use might be quite attractive.  I don't
think it's so great if you want a VM running all the time.

Physical servers lose out when it comes to things like hardware failure
and (usually) cost.

If you're setting up your own VMs on a rented server then it may well
not be a walk in the park.  Getting all the networking stuff functioning
correctly can be tricky, though it is getting easier.

Personally I like the degree of control I have with a physical server
and if I could justify the cost I'd probably always go that route, but
I'd not expect that to be a compelling reason for everyone.

James