Re: [LUG] Members' List

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 01:22:33 +0000
Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Neil Williams wrote:
> >
> > I suspect there could be a drupal plugin to provide this information if
> > anyone fancies exploring . . .
>
> Explored...
>
> Apparently the Drupal 6 way is to install the "Views" module and create
> a "View" which creates SQL queries with a pointy clicky interface.
>
> I've had a quick play and ....
>
> http://www.dcglug.org.uk/members

Thanks, Simon.

Members may want to note that the view operates in two modes:

Anonymous (i.e. not logged in) - you get the name and a photo, (if any).

Authenticated (logged in) - you get a link to the member page where you
can view stuff like how long the person has been a member, a link to
their homepage (if set), their OpenID (if set) and a contact form from
you to them, direct (which does not reveal their email address, just
yours.)

Regarding spammers, I do delete users without warning and without
appeal upon discovering any unsuitable content and drupal does make it
easy for admins to spot new content creation. If anyone on the list
spots stuff before an admin spots it, then the "writers" in the group
can delete that page and then an admin can delete the user.

Accounts that look suspicious but which who do not create inappropriate
content are probably trying to harvest email addresses or test the
drupal installation. Admins can delete such accounts if there is
evidence of such behaviour. Without moderating all new accounts I don't
see how that can be changed - I believe moderation would harm regular
members too much. Members should bear in mind that the old site wasn't
any different in this respect - there were junk accounts there too. It
was just that because the process was non-standard, there weren't quite
as many. Equally a non-standard process meant that genuine users got
too confused and some of the junk accounts were actually genuine
members who were having problems negotiating the process. The drupal
site at least allows far more people to be involved in the process -
the old site relied on me fixing stuff because I was the only one who
understood what the code was trying to do. ;-)

Members are reminded that although there is authentication, content on
any part of the website (other than your password and your email
address) is not private. This, again, is no different to before. Once
someone creates an account, they can view the site using that account -
until they get bored or get deleted for doing something obvious.

With drupal, any admin has the right to decide if ANY account is to be
deleted. Admins do not generally give warnings about deletions and
there is no right to appeal. Don't be tempted to create inappropriate
content "as a joke" - it won't be seen as funny.

See this page for details of who is an admin and who is a writer:
http://www.dcglug.org.uk/organisation

(Members who want "writer" privileges should contact an admin and
discuss it.)

--

Neil Williams