Re: [LUG] Disk replacement

tom wrote:
> Simon Waters wrote:
>> tom wrote:
>>
>>> I have a nice 80G 7200rpm drive from a knackered video recorder and
>>> thought it would be nice to use it to replace my old 40G 5400 rpm drive
>>> and use that elsewhere. Does anyone know of an easy cloning method - so
>>> I dont have to modify all those horrible device ID's in menu.lst.
>>
>> dd
>>
> But I'll have to modify all the horrible device ID's in menu.lst and I'm
> just too lazy!

I clearly don't understand the problem.

I'd have assumed procedure is something like:

Insert second disk.

Boot using bootable CD, dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb.

Power down, remove old disk, ensure disk cabling ensures new disk is now
/dev/dha, boot using new disk.

Now fiddle with partitioning if you want to use the extra space in an
existing partition.

Which "horrible ids" in menu.lst, all I see that could change is the
GRUB identifier for the boot device which usually just points to the
disk by its position in bus architecture so all you have to do is ensure
that doesn't change.