Re: [LUG] Security: Adobe reader the most targeted in malware campaigns

Martijn Grooten wrote:
On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 8:51 AM, tom wrote:
And for my usual rant - why do people format their work for A4 - I havent
seen a paper shaped screen for twenty years now....

Most ebook-readers are paper shaped aren't they? I would love to have
a paper shaped laptop or desktop monitor; almost everything I do on my
computer (programming, browsing websites, reading stuff) would benefit
from portrait-oriented screens. Not sure why no one makes them.

I still think a portable document format (i.e. PDF) is a great idea:
platform independent, what you see is what you print. It's just that
Acrobat felt they needed to constantly "improve" their well-working
reader, creating security holes along the way.

Martijn.

But PDF doesnt do ANY of the things it claims - its a complete lie on all counts. It only prints what you see if I use the exactly the same printer, have exactly the same fonts installed and have just had it calibrated - I know I used to work in the labelling industry where what is printed is of utmost importance. PDF was no better than Word. It is just another Pointless Document Format. The only reason why Adobe keep 'improving' their product is so people who are stupid enough to believe their claims keep paying more money for new software. If you have to print something that doesn't need a handwritten signature then the document design is a failure.
Tom te tom te tom