Re: [LUG] OT BBC License: Was: get_iplayer

Julian Hall wrote:
People have been prosecuted (successfully!) for owning a TV with the tuner removed! It can't physically receive a TV signal yet they were forced to pay the license fee. Mad.

Julian
Yep I dunno it seems like the rules don't seem very clear. I remember a couple of years back, my Brother-in-law had a TV just to use his Playstation on (one of the original PSOne consoles so it couldn't pick up any form of TV or play DVDs). He contacted the TV Licencing people to confirm if he needed a TV licence (he didn't have any sort of aerial connected) and was told it was fine because it wasn't used to receive broadcast TV.

Nowadays though, I guess technically if you have a PS3 console attached to an LCD monitor you could still possibly need a TV licence, especially if you have access to the internet and have the BBC iPlayer application installed (which is pretty much an icon which opens the PS3 web browser and goes to the iPlayer site).

According to the TV licencing web site, you don't need a licence to watch videos, DVDs or use the TV as a monitor for the games console...

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ15/

"What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games console? Do I still need a licence?

You do not need a TV Licence if you only use your TV to watch videos and DVDs or as a monitor for your games console.

You can tell us that you do not need a TV Licence by using our online declaration form. One of our Enforcement Officers may visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence."

But what if you're using iPlayer on that said games console?

Rob