Re: [LUG] No IDE! A taste of things to come?

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:00:40AM +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Just bought a new motherboard - Fanless dual-core Intel Atom. Dual SATA
> ports which is what I wanted, but there's no IDE port on it.
>
> Was wondering how I'm going to connect up my usual CD-ROM drive to boot
> Linux into it, but I've remembered I have a USB CD-ROM drive ...
> somewhere!
>
> Nice motherboard though:
>
>   http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12683
>
> It's to replace an older dual-core atom up in the co-lo who's fan failed
> some months back )-:

Guess it's time to invest in an SATA DVD drive.  In a way I can see why they've done
it, I guess in an MiniITX sized box space is at a premium anyway so I guess getting
shot of IDE helps space saving on both the board and in the case.

I have found myself sometimes thoug that it can be a bit of a pain.  I've got 2 IDE
hard drives which I need to recover some data from and my external hard drives are
all USB to SATA!

Luckily the wife is out tonight so I can pop the side off her PC and netboot
CloneZilla to get the stuff off.

Rob