Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Choice screen gives browser boost]

Paul Sutton wrote:

Julian Hall wrote:
'Web browser Opera says that downloads of its software have doubled
since Microsoft introduced browser choice to Windows users on 1 March.'

surely downloads and usage is a different thing, i could fire up my
windows xp box, download opera and decide i would rather use firefox,

This is true, I have IE installed on the wife's Windows 7 PC (and her XP laptop) but neither of us use it. I have Firefox and Chrome installed on my laptop but I tend to mainly use Firefox, but occasionally fire up Chrome (which I'm starting to like apart from a decent ad-blocker such as AdBlock Plus which is on Firefox).
on the other hand, if it is producing a big shift,  i wonder what would
happen if MS were forced to allow real choice,  dual boot windows and
Linux,  (something to ponder)
I don't see that happening, at least not on machines bought from a store. Maybe one or the other, but not dual booting, would possibly just confuse a new PC owner.

Saying that though, it seems to be that more machines (netbooks especially and even a couple of laptops and desktops) are coming with things like Splashtop (which IIRC is Linux based) for quick booting for basic web browsing.

Rob