Re: [LUG] FYI: F@H

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010, tom wrote:

I've been running the Mersenne (prime95) stress test for a couple of nights and not a tweet. But a couple of F@H early terminations occurred! During the tests X Sensors revealed no dangerous temperature rises ( though I do have a temp3 that jumps about but no idea what thats meant to be measuring) However when the kids get on and run flash games off the web the temp goes up noticeably!!!!
Dont stress test run Flash!

Which just goes to show that running tests, etc. might not be the best way to actually 'test' a system...

I imagine flash isn't using floating point at all, but maybe some extra widgets inside the graphics chip - and I bet it's those which are heating up rather than the actual CPU, etc.

The biggest issues is going to be able to narrow down exactly what is failling and that might actually be more bother than it's worth...

Gordon