Re: [LUG] 2 X servers, 1 GPU

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 00:18:19 +0000
Rob Beard wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I found this blog linked from Phoronix and I thought it was quite
> interesting...
>
> http://airlied.livejournal.com/72187.html
>
> Basically one of the Red Hat developers (I forget his name) has been
> working on all sorts of interesting X stuff such as switching between
> integrated graphics chipsets and dedicated graphics (such as
> notebooks with say an Intel graphics chip and an ATI or NVidia chip).

I like the sound of this bit.

> Now he's working on dual X displays from 1 graphics chip.
>
> I gather this is different to running a dual head desktop, from what
> I understand reading the Phoronix article, it would mean two
> independent X displays on the one graphics card.  So if you have say
> a PC (or notebook I guess) with two displays then you can run two X
> servers at the same time and effectively turn a PC into two PCs.
>
> I gather only basic work has been done but it seems to work.  With
> any luck someone might pick up on this and get something into a
> distro, that would be pretty cool being able to turn one PC into two
> PCs.

You've been able to do this for a while now, if you had multiple
graphics cards.  I have never thought about using multiple outputs from
the same card, though.  I can't see why it shouldn't be do-able with a
little work.

The last time I looked into something like this (which was for an
extension activity for my NatDip students), it would have been easiest
is you used multiple PCI graphics cards from the same vendor (but
they'd have different PCI device numbers, so could be identified
separately) and using USB keyboards and mice (for the same reason -
unique identifiers).  That way you could tie in specific
keyboard/mouse/gfx cards together and run multiple X sessions at once.

I might have another look at it again.

Cheers.
Grant. :)