[LUG] 2 X servers, 1 GPU

Hi folks,

I found this blog linked from Phoronix and I thought it was quite interesting...

http://airlied.livejournal.com/72187.html

Basically one of the Red Hat developers (I forget his name) has been working on all sorts of interesting X stuff such as switching between integrated graphics chipsets and dedicated graphics (such as notebooks with say an Intel graphics chip and an ATI or NVidia chip).

Now he's working on dual X displays from 1 graphics chip.

I gather this is different to running a dual head desktop, from what I understand reading the Phoronix article, it would mean two independent X displays on the one graphics card. So if you have say a PC (or notebook I guess) with two displays then you can run two X servers at the same time and effectively turn a PC into two PCs.

I gather only basic work has been done but it seems to work. With any luck someone might pick up on this and get something into a distro, that would be pretty cool being able to turn one PC into two PCs.

Rob