Re: [LUG] Meeting at Holsworthy - more details

Paul Sutton wrote:

I mentioned before that we might use a pub - the meerkat inn could do us
a quiet corner and wifi if we ask nicely - some of the other pubs may do
the same.
Tom te tom te tom

Sounds a good idea,  if you however find some members have children who
are also interested, it would be nice to include them too,  if they are
with a parent, they are under supervision, then it may not be so much of
an issue,  i think min age for pubs is 14 unless your having a meal.

Some pubs have family rooms, others have outdoor areas which is great when the weather is nice.
for informal social meet ups a pub is fine,  for more formal meetings
where we can say that lots of people can make it then a larger hall is
worth the expenditure,  as you can plan to include talks etc.

I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever do talks?

I'm on the Free Software Manchester list and they have some really interesting talks. I guess though Manchester being a big city would probably attract some of the bigger name speakers, and they also have the BBC up there and occasionally have events there too.
even if the talks are not what everyone is interested in,  there is
usually a kitchen or a quiet corner people can retire to for a quiet
chat, troubleshooting so people should not be put off,  if a list of
offered talks isn't on their list of interested things,  the more the
merrier.

Although I bet it's a bit of a squeeze trying to fit loads of people in a corner.
25 quid for 4 hours is good,  10 people works out at 2.50 a head,

Yeah, it's just getting 10 people to turn up. That's the problem, we can't always rely on the fact that 10 people will turn up, just look at SFD 2008.
important things is to get an initial meeting set up, and running,  you
can then take it from there,  how things pan out,  in terms of what
people want to learn.
Yep. I find that at the Shoreline it seems that some of the visitors come along with different things/issues/questions every month. For instance one month Gordon talks about his Asterisk stuff, or his Dive computer, and another month someone will be asking for advice on getting a laptop/netbook, and another month someone might be asking for assistance on doing something on a distro they already have installed (okay, all that can and possibly would happen in the same meeting too).

Rob