Re: [LUG] looks interesting

Grant Sewell wrote:
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 22:39:01 +0000
Paul Sutton wrote:

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/images/stories/qi_bennanonote_keyboard_sm.jpg

Main article:
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Qi-Hardware-Ben-NanoNote/

It looks interesting, but I'm not too sure.  It has 336MHz XBurst
Jz4720 processor, 32MB SDRAM, and 2GB NAND flash, and offers a 3-inch,
320 x 240 display... which seems to be lower spec than my Palm Pre
(which runs Linux).

"Ethernet and WiFi are not built in, but the device is compatible with
several WiFi SDIO cards".  Again, Palm Pre has WiFi already and
Ethernet-over-USB is available after a bit of hacking.

Grant.
I agree, I'm pretty certain I've seen better spec machines than this, the Pandora for instance with about 256MB Ram and a 600MHz CPU. Granted the Pandora only has 512MB storage but it does have a full Qwerty keyboard, touch screen screen and 2 SD card slots for expansion.

I'm thinking just because a device runs Linux, it doesn't specifically make it interesting. My BT Home Hub 2 runs Linux, although it's about as exciting as our washing machine (i.e. not very).

I'm more excited about popping the lid off my old BT Vision box to get to the innards. I've read that with some sort of PIC chip soldered to the JTAG connection it's possible to replace the Windows CE operating system with Linux (although I'm not entirely sure how useable it is at the moment).

Rob

Rob