Re: [LUG] If You Support Free Software, Talk To Your MP Now

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 14:39:59 +0000
tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Neil Williams wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:52:18 +0000
> > tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > The change in the law is not how it appears - it isn't as dangerous as
> > some are claiming. In practical terms, I consider it pointless raising
> > a fuss over this with MP's.
> >
> > A copyrighted work with a clear copyright notice in suitable places is
> > still a copyrighted work - the only issue is whether there is anyone
> > with the right to enforce that copyright.
> >

> But with this Google Books thing that is all turned on its head

No, "all" is not turned on any head. Some things are affected, yes, but
copyleft is not. At least not in a practically meaningful manner.

>- and
> maybe with the DEB - this orphaned work issue seems to be pushed as a
> ruse to disenfranchise the little people while pretending to be for
> their good. The Google approach is to publish unless you say not -
> despite there already being a copyright notice (which is NOT required)

A copyright notice is always required if you want copyright protection
to be enforceable. Copyright is assigned automatically but if you want
to be able to enforce that copyright, you must declare the copyright in
a way that clearly (and uniquely) attributes the work to you and in
such a manner that anyone with a copy also has the notification. There
are legally recognised ways of doing this - such ways are called
copyright notices.

> in the work. The wording of the DEB seems similar. Perhaps I'm paranoid
> - but that doesn't mean they're not out to get me.
> Tom te tom te tom

It does mean that you should listen when others who are not paranoid
assure you that you've misinterpreted the problem.

Just out of curiosity, how much code have you published under the GPL
compared to, oh, I don't know, say me? Who's supposedly got the most to
"lose" here?

--

Neil Williams