Re: [LUG] OT - is a PC screen HD?

Simon Robert wrote:
I guess I'm probably answering my own question,, but would like to know
for sure.

I have a nice, fairly new, samsung monitor. It has a digital cable
connection, which I use, along with the standard one. I have satellite
connections to a 4 years old skysat card in the PC and to various
freesat boxes around the house.

Only one of the TV's is HD enabled, and this is the only one where BBC
HD is a visible choice. However the PC does show HD as an option and
does play it.
Am I really seeing HD, I can't tell by eyesight. I'm surprised my old
sky star would do HD, but then if it doesn't would I get any sort of
picture.

Countryfile certainly looks nice and sharp, but is it a placebo effect?

Simon

Am I really getting HD here?

Guess it depends on your resolution. My laptop screen for instance is 1280x800 so it will support 720p HD video. I gather that if your screen is 1280x720 or higher resolution then it should be able to play back in HD, although for Full HD (1080p) you'll need a 1920x1080 resolution screen. Can't remember the resolution for 1080i, I gather it's something like 1440x1080.

I must say though, on my laptop, with it's 12.1" widescreen display, it's not that much difference between HD and SD content, it's a bit clearer but not much of a difference as watching on our 32" (720p) HDTV.

Rob