Re: [LUG] Recipes

tom wrote:
> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>> My wife has many handwritten recipe books, some inherited from previous
>> generations. Some of them are now getting somewhat tatty. I would like
>> to find a program to put them on computer. However I and my daughter use
>> Linux and the wife uses Windows (I know, but I can't get her to change).
>>
>> I have looked around and found several possible programs, but they all
>> work from the HD. I have also looked for any programs that could be set
>> up on the family web site. That way we could all view them.
>>
>> Any one have any suggestions for a suitable web program which I could
>> set up on our web site? I have had no luck so far. Perhaps they don't
>> exist.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Neil
>>

> The basic storage (as for almost all things) would be a relational DB -
> list of ingredients/qty per serving, cooking methods/timing etc.
> That would allow for a local GUI or a web interface  for recipes,
> searching for recipes that use certain ingredients (seasonal what left
> in fridge etc),
> calculating qtties, creating timing data shopping list etc.
> Could be fun
> Tom te tom te tom

I used to create databases for small companies, so I could write one
myself if there were a suitable program in Linux. Sadly there is no
Linux equivalent of Borland Paradox or MS Access yet. Yes, I know about
Kexi, OO Base etc, but they are not yet as good as the Windows databases
were 20 years ago.

In fact I wrote a database for a local restaurant, when I lived in
Bristol, which the owner wanted for exactly the same purpose. He had his
recipes on bits of paper all over the place and he wanted a database to
store them and to print them out as necessary. That was in fact the last
database that I set up before moving to Devon.

Neil