Re: [LUG] Nautilus' network browser

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:08:45 +0000
Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As I understand it, Nautilus uses gnome-vfs2 to connect to all sorts
> of data sources, including network 'shares'.  My question is how does
> gnome-vfs2 (or Nautilus) establish the name of the machines?

GnomeVFS2 is deprecated. Recent versions of Nautilus will be using GIO.

In that case, nautilus will simply be calling "g_mount_get_name" along
with g_mount_get_uuid () and g_mount_get_icon.

/usr/lib/libgio-2.0.so.0.0.0
libglib2.0-0

>  For
> example, I've just fired up Nautilus and pointed it at network:/// and
> it's showing me a whole bunch of machines that are sharing their
> resources through one method or another.  How does Nautilus establish
> the names of the hosts?

Nautilus isn't establishing anything, it's down to the services
themselves declaring user input strings. You could have a look at the
glib source code for the details.

--

Neil Williams