Re: [LUG] And you wonder why the tubes are blocked ...

Rob Beard wrote:

> When I did a spot of programming on *cough* SCO Unix *cough* years back
> (about 1996 I think), I learnt a rather useful lesson.  I'd been writing
> a program to convert information and got it to update the screen for
> every record it converted.  Basically it was using a whole load of
> unnecessary CPU resources just to update the terminal screen, until
> someone pointed out to me that the program would run much quicker if it
> didn't spend half it's time updating the screen.

I've seen tape restores run, that completed, but the console was set to
9600bps (for no obvious reason than it was an ancient default), and was
several hours(!) behind listing the file names of restored files from a
DAT tape as a result.

âBottlenecks occur in surprising places, so don't try to second guess
and put in a speed hack until you have proven that's where the
bottleneck is.â - Rob Pike