Re: [LUG] And you wonder why the tubes are blocked ...

Gordon Henderson wrote:

The real issue is that their programmers are not programmers

I think the real issues are Economics.

Whilst I'm not blessed with 7 years comp sci, I've been in this game long enough to have built regression test suites, sold and supported SCM systems. I've seen software development at several hundred different companies from embedded systems, to credit card processing.

But when someone wants a bespoke website to be written for the cost of 10 days wages, they aren't going to get sophisticated unit testing (unless it is already done it on that Unit), regression testing, or clever test suites unless it can be shown that it'll reduce costs. They'll get basic end to end testing, with some emphasis put on the bits known to break. Offer it for 11 days wages and they buy from someone cheaper.

I'm of the same mind - that software should be better, and I know ways to make it better and I know that better software lives longer and has less issues and is more fun to use, but I don't know how to get paid to write it.

Proper software engineering is the exception of what I saw, it use to be mostly big IT, embedded systems and telephony that were concerned with software process. We didn't touch on safety critical systems.

Of course the technical problem you describe is polling you need a push architecture, won't happen when all you have to play with is GET and POST ;)

And I see good programmers writing bad code all the time.