Re: [LUG] And you wonder why the tubes are blocked ...

tom wrote:
so we can pay for young programmers out out college to do the work cheaply. They know nothing - it takes a good 10 years to become a programmer - simply because you have to learn to do everything that is required
I don't think it's entirely fair to say they know nothing - they wouldn't have graduated knowing nothing. What they lack is experience and that can really only be gained at the coal-face.

More to the point you have to learn how to deliver everything *efficiently*. I could write a program to say:

print 'hello'
print 'hello'
print 'hello'
print 'hello'
print 'hello'
print 'hello'
print 'hello'
print 'hello'
print 'hello'
print 'hello'

or I could say:

for i = 1 to 10
print 'hello'
next i

Or I could have every component have its' own print routine instead of them all calling the same one. It's not enough to just deliver everything, it needs to be delivered in the most efficient manner possible. Unless of course you're saying that efficiency is part of the requirement, which is a fair point - however you then come to a point whereby 'efficient' becomes a relative term - one man's efficient is another man's slapdash. The 'Good Enough' principle kicks in and people say 'Well it's not great but it's enough for us to get paid'.

Julian