Re: [LUG] "Stuff Just Works In Windows" ?

On 28/02/2010 14:25, Rob Beard wrote:
> Rhia Knowles wrote:
>> I thought you might enjoy this tale of two operating systems.
> <snip>

> I can't fathom why HP Inkjet drivers are so poor when the laser drivers
> are spot on.  I've also found the opposite with Epsons, the Inkjet
> drivers are spot on where the laser drivers are poor.
>
> Still it goes to show, a lot of the time it'll work fine in Linux (I'd
> put that down to the great work that the CUPS & Guttenprint projects
> do).  It's not always like this though (Epson lasers on CUPS for instance).
>
> Rob

I had many problems* with a variety of HP laser printers on XP Pro  but
worked OK on Linux.[Although same models worked at a site of an oil
company in France on XP pro, which is why I bought in first place as ok
history at a customer's site]. I switched to OKI printers (LED not
laser) and they work on MS OSs  or SuSE or Ubuntu or Mint, and also
always work with 'generic' drivers under CUPs as well as specific
drivers. I tend to load two printers (one with OKI drivers as default,
and one with 'generic' as spare, but rarely use spare)
* mainly mechanical (paper jamming) but also print refusals.
--
Regards
Eion MacDonald