[LUG] "Stuff Just Works In Windows" ?

I thought you might enjoy this tale of two operating systems.

I'd been given a wireless printserver by someone who no longer needed
it, and was setting it up this weekend. Now in our house we have 3
PCs. 2 dual booting Windows and Linux, and one XP only, because Mom is
afraid of Linux unless its on my laptop and already running (!)

Anyway so we plug it in, boot up my laptop and set up the printserver,
and its a breeze.
1) hook it up to printer. Turn both on.
2)Hook it to ethernet on desktop.
3)Get it to tell me what its IP address is by printing it to the
printer, log into its web admin, and tell it about my Wifi so it can
connect successfully. Disconnect the ethernet and make note what IP
router assigned it.
4) Tell Linux there is a Jetdirect printer at <ip address>
5) Print test page.

Switch to Windows and ohh boy, have we got problems.
1)inform windows we wish to install a new printer.
2)Get annoying wizard popping up to 'help'
3) it doesnt find it as a networked printer, so install as a local one
with a TCP/IP port at <ip address>
4)Machine has never seen this printer before this, so doesnt have
drivers for it. Ok not a problem. Download drivers from HP (10 mins,
on broadband!...zzzzz)
5)Drivers wont install without seeing the printer physically
connected, so connect printer via USB
6)change port on newly installed printer to TCP/IP at <ip address>
7) print test page.
8)notice test page resembles morse code, change print quality up in
Windows and clean the heads until text is readable again.

Ok so now we know what kinda hassle its going to be in windows, we
grab the printer, go to Moms PC. Change port on already installed
driver to IP port. print test page, note morse, clean heads...

Then we get to my desktop. Once again, in Linux, its a breeze. There
is a JetDirect printer at <ip address>. Print test page. No problems.
In windows 7RC, once again im pulling my hair out.
Windows 7 HP drivers dont beleive that the RC is windows 7 so refuse
to install. So its another 10mins wait while I grab Vista drivers.
Install Vista drivers. test print. Morse. Clean heads... errr not on
this PC you dont. (!?!)

Boot up laptop into Windows, reconnect printer to the printserver, clean heads
Change port on win7 so it can print to the printer... and get 1/2 a
test page and a stuck job.

Windows 7 troubleshooter spends 20 mins to finally bitch that the
printer isnt shared with the 'Homegroup' (that would be because
nothing else can communicate with a 'homegroup') before it notices the
real problem is that stuck job, 'Maybe if I restart it that would
help? No? Ok then lets delete all jobs....'

I still cant get win7 printing to that printer via wifi...