Re: [LUG] "Stuff Just Works In Windows" ?

Rhia Knowles wrote:
Switch to Windows and ohh boy, have we got problems.
1)inform windows we wish to install a new printer.
2)Get annoying wizard popping up to 'help'
3) it doesnt find it as a networked printer, so install as a local one
with a TCP/IP port at <ip address>
4)Machine has never seen this printer before this, so doesnt have
drivers for it. Ok not a problem. Download drivers from HP (10 mins,
on broadband!...zzzzz)
5)Drivers wont install without seeing the printer physically
connected, so connect printer via USB
6)change port on newly installed printer to TCP/IP at <ip address>
7) print test page.
8)notice test page resembles morse code, change print quality up in
Windows and clean the heads until text is readable again.
Strange, I had very few problems[1] installing my networked printer to Windows 7.

1. Go to Printers and fire up wizard to install network printer. Now, mine is on a USB port off my NAS drive which may be why I had any problems at all.
2.  Windows can't find a printer on the network - see 1 for possible reason.
3. Install printer [Epson Stylus Photo R300] as local printer. Tell it to stop searching and just install it. Installs fine as Windows has the driver already. From experience a lot of the time installing a network printer Windows will accept a printer it can't find being installed and does - for once - accept the user knows best. I don't know why yours was so stubborn Rhia, maybe it's an HP thing? 4. Go to Printer Properties - Ports. Add a new TCP/IP port with my NAS drive's IP address and attach printer to it[2].
5.  Print test page - job done.

Kind regards,

Julian

[1] Note: I didn't say 'no problems'.
[2] To be absolutely fair I had done this before as the NAS drive came with explicit instructions on how to do it.