Re: [LUG] Uptime question

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 11:15:49 +0000 (GMT)
Gordon Henderson wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Jan 2010, Grant Sewell wrote:
>
> > Neil Stone wrote:
> >

> > time since boot
> >
> > -----
> >
> > Ok, how about a computer that has beeb put into
> > 'hibernation' (suspend to disc)? When it is woken up, does it
> > 'boot' or merely 'resume' and what effect on uptime does this have?
>
> It's the since boot - which is "wallclock" time. The uptime clock
> doesn't stop during sleep/hibernation. (It may actually be stopped
> internally because the CPU is stopped, but upon resume, if it's all
> configured correctly, it will reset the software clock to the
> hardware clock value and uptime will represent the time since boot)
>
> Try it with a laptop - boot it, then suspend it (close the lid). Wait
> a few hours, resume it, and check the clock.

gsewell@hplaptop:~$uptime;date
 00:37:38 up 13:46,  2 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.11, 0.13
Sat Feb 20 00:37:38 GMT 2010

--- Laptop lid closed and system suspended to RAM overnight ---

gsewell@hplaptop:~$ uptime ;date
 10:00:28 up 23:09,  2 users,  load average: 0.58, 0.24, 0.17
Sat Feb 20 10:00:28 GMT 2010

Now, if only I could get suspend to disk to work properly I'd try that too.

Grant.