Re: [LUG] flash gps chip

Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010, tom wrote:

I've been given a GPS compact flash BC-307 and was wondering if anyone had a clue about how to get it functioning on linux. I've tried plugging it into a usb multi function card reader and it turns on the little red light for a while but I cant seem to get anything else out of it or find software to use it . OK it will only tell me I'm sitting in front of my pc to less accuracy than I can guess with my eyes shut but I'm a geek and that will make me happy for several days!

What does it look like to the OS? ie. what's the output of dmesg when you plug it in...

Older GPSs used to have a serial port connection and there is a standard or 2 for exchanging data with a GPS - maybe this comes up as a serial device?

Gordon

It doesnt appear to the OS, same on windows - from what I've read it is passive - you have to ask it for information otherwise it just sits there.
I've loaded the gpsd and stuff but I havent found out how to call it yet!
Tom te tom te tom