Re: [LUG] GPL Question

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 18:15:23 +0000
Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There is no clear copyright or licensing notice on the directory
> hierarchy of the Yam .app, and since I can't run the game on such a
> lowly processor as the G3 I can't find out what license they claim to
> be using.

? Any copyright notice displayed at runtime will appear somewhere in
the codebase.

> Can we (ie someone else who can run the game) confirm whether Jalada
> GmbH claim to be using the GPL or not.  If so, I guess I could contact
> them requesting the source-code to Yam and see if they comply.  If they
> don't claim to be using the GPL, what's the next step?

The next step is code analysis. You have to ascertain whether the code
that you have identified as GPL and which they declare as GPL is the
same, then determine whether any of that code is *linked* to any of the
other code or whether it is merely "placed alongside" the wrappings of
an OSX app. Calling a binary is not linkage - the GPL code needs to be
compiled into the added code for there to be an issue. Identify the
files, understand the build process and build linkage and/or analyse
the runtime binaries with tools like objdump or whatever is the
equivalent for OSX.

In most situations, assume incompetence rather than deliberate
infringement.

Read the GPL FAQ for more information.

--

Neil Williams