Re: [LUG] Font size changes with multiple monitors

On 11/02/10 02:31, Simon Williams wrote:
Does anybody know why the font size decreases (in every X program) with
most multiple monitor configurations?

My PC runs a 1680x1050 (DVI). When I added a second 1680x1050 screen to
this the fonts did not change at all. I've just switched the extra
monitor for a 1280x1024 and everything is small again.

I found the solution. X took the DPI setting from the VGA monitor, which was 75 instead of 96.

http://scanline.ca/dpi/ describes how X decides the dpi setting.

The most common suggestion is to do some maths and change the monitor size in Xorg.conf. I think the better solution is to add the -dpi option when launching X. The problem is that there isn't a standard place to change this. It needs to be added in kdmrc (which turned out to be in /usr/share/config on my system :S), /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc, and probably somewhere for gdm.